Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The day all animals could talk.

“The day all animals could talk,” is an engaging topic for 4th grade writers to explore. One student, I will use the pseudonym Allan, explored this fictional, narrative prompt with vigor...a scarlet macaw parrot hides away in a blanket, surviving a snowy trip to school. This story is playful, imaginative and fairly well organized.

Beginning with classification of Ideas, in the six traits of writing, Allan’s demonstrates relevant and telling quality details that move beyond the obvious and the predictable (NWREL, 1992). Allan admitted that his weakness is having too many ideas and wanting to write about everything. He goes back and crosses out or his teacher will delete a whole block of copy. I paraphrased by saying, “So, it sounds like you need help focusing your story?” Adding lots of detail is good, but only if it supports the one thing the story is about— the topic. Allan’s story builds to enrich the central theme. The parrot in his story,  played games such as: “Pin the tail on me!” and “trampoline.” He tells the story with humor, “Imagine having 24 parrots jump on you. It’s humiliating.” His organization sounds inviting when snow is falling like “meteors.” A satisfying close ties back to the beginning of the story in the parrot’s own words, “It’s freezing out there!” Compelling information carries the reader throughout. Allan’s writing style is entertaining and dynamic offering solid word choice such as, “making a ruckus.” His fluency has an easy flow, rhythm and cadence, “In the morning, all was quiet. I have to admit…” Sentence structure varies in length form 5-15 words, with about 66% close to the 15 range. Voice is captured with sensitivity in the subtle details of how the parrot spoke about his life in being separated from his family. Conventions are overall very reasonable, with infrequent miss-spellings, idol to (idle), and with numerous examples of self-correction during the editing and publishing phase.

When I asked where his ideas come from, Allan responded, “I write and write and write, and then I go back and cross out what I don’t want.” Clearly, he has ownership of the writing process and sees himself as a writer. Allan exhibits an eager attitude and a firm understanding of the process of using graphic organizers. Regularly using a 1st , 2nd and 3rd writing draft he takes out and adds on content. Allan is also interested in tetherball, soccer and ping-pong. His scientific mind embraces future potential writing topics of liquid, solid and gas, water vapor and salinity, and the life cycle of insects.
Spelling development for this student reveals a need for working with doubling, rippen (ripen); suffixes, sivilies (civilize); and the initial consonant sound of a hard “c” in kattle (cattle); and oppisition (opposition). A discussion of the base root (civil) welcomed, “Oh, like civil with a ‘c’.” After sharing a host of base words beginning with (oppose), and surrounding the topic of  table tennis (opponent), Allan quickly understood the meaning of this new word (opposition).

Concluding thoughts for this student are: While topic sentences are clear and concise, I suggest improving his organization by developing an original title.  I suggest teaching with greater emphasis on thoughtful transitions and guiding towards the expression of personal voice. Finally, to improve vocabulary, spelling lessons may surround the areas of suffixes and base roots.


Lesson Plan:
"SUPER SUFFIX COMIC BOOK" 

Objective(s)/Learning Target(s):
Students will learn to improve their writing through creating a based word suffix chart.
Students will apply their learning of suffixes by creating an eight-panel comic book.

Standard(s):
GLE 1.3.1:  Revises text, including changing words, sentences, paragraphs, and ideas
GLE 3.1.1: Analyzes ideas, selects a narrow topic, and elaborates using specific details and/or examples

Instructional Strategies / Teacher Instruction:
This small group lesson will occur in two stages.

STAGE 1  :20
I will discuss how suffixes affect word meaning.
I will distribute directions with 20 base-root words and 8 suffixes.
I will model creating a chart with 21 rows and 9 columns. Suffixes will be listed horizontally across the top (-ed, -er, -est, -ful, -ing, -ive, -ly, and -s/es).
Base words will be written and fall vertically down the page in the left column.
I will ask students to consider and cross check the dictionary to be sure they are recording REAL words.
Color in the empty boxes with marker.
Share your chart with the class. Compare/contrast results.

STAGE 2  :20
Students will create their own cartoons using dramatic illustrations, dialogue bubbles and words with suffixes from the previous lesson.
I will ask the students to divide their oak tag into 8 sections. (one section per scene).
I will encourage students to create a new story line on a personal topic of interest.     (perhaps giving super-powers to an inanimate object)
I will remind students to use a smattering of base words with suffixes from their chart.
I will look for discussion points on word and passage meaning as affected by suffix choice.

Materials/Preparation needed: 

A large piece of oak tag, a ruler, a pencil, a dictionary, a set of directions, colorful markers, 11 X17 paper. Chart answer key.

Suffixes: -ed, -er, -est, -ful, -ing, -ive, -ly, -s/es
Base Words: act, blame , bold, bubble, burn, clam , cheer, color, create, drive, elect, happy, help, jump, last, like , pass, play, sick

Assessment of Learning:
I will note to the degree students are able to accurately complete their suffix chart.
I will project an answer key on the active board and ask students to self assess.
I will look for learning opportunities by comparing inconsistent class chart results.
I will request a gallery walk, giving writers the opportunity to share their cartoons.
I will request that each student present or speak to at least one base word and one suffix in their final product.






4 comments:

  1. I must say, that as usual, you are as detailed as ever. What are we supposed to comment on when you leave nothing undone? I especially like the “Super Suffixes Comic Book.” I will have to steel that one some time. Where do you think a student his age gets this kind of vocabulary and sentence fluency? Do you think he really needs to focus attention on voice? His writing showcases a unique and surprising voice for a student his age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your buddy has an impressively large vocabulary. He does a wonderful job of painting a picture for the reader with words like "scarlet" and "meteors". You mentioned that over half of his sentences are upwards of 15 words in length, do they all vary in word choice, including how they start?

    I liked how you drew from his prior knowledge of the word "civil" for "civilized" and his interest in table tennis for the word "opponent". One thing I think you might add to your analysis are any similarities you saw between your buddies spelling errors on the spelling inventory and errors he made in his writing. This could make your transition to your lesson plan stronger.

    Overall, I think it's a very strong analysis and, I think you have a unique lesson plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You buddy seems to be a strong writer with a large vocabulary span for his age. Your buddy shows strong ownership in his writing, overflowing with ideas and details to spice up his paper. One question I had in mind was, how can you help him stay focused on just one topic when he has so many?
    I really like your lesson idea. It sounds very fun and engaging. I like how you use creativity (creating own comic book) to help him build on his weakness (spelling). I also like how you would use the optimal learning model (Routman) in your lesson plan. How you would model creating a chart, leading them into a guided practice (have them check their dictionaries) and to independent practice (having them create their own comic books.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Teacher Man,T thank you for your comment. I agree that voice is currently a strong suit of this student (given his varied vocabulary). I assume he reads a lot and often. My intent with the Super Suffixes Comic Book lesson is to teach expression as well as give him a new opportunity to explore and push his voice in an informal fictional setting. Penney, your thoughts on encouraging me to look more closely at the beginning of his sentences are well taken. A few examples: I felt, I had I grabbed, I closed, I got out of, and I still heard him. These show me that this student may benefit from a lesson on varying sentence structure and varying transitions. In addition I now realize that his conclusion is in need of improvement. While his spelling errors were few, I think a conclusion or sentence structure lesson can propel this student forward with his writing skills more effectively than a simple suffix lesson. It is comforting to know that he feels accomplished and is well on his way to being and independent reader.

    ReplyDelete